Pretty bikes and things (Image)

Pretty bikes and things (Image)

Friday, November 25, 2011

1996 12" WTB Phoenix

I'm now realizing that I'm in danger of saying all my bikes are awesome. But I suppose they are or else I would have sold them by now. Whittling away my bikes just so I'm not overwhelmed with bikes all over my basement, I have managed to sell a few to pick up a few more.

This little Phoenix was their smallest size and sizing was funky with these bikes. Most people don't seem to understand it and with great luck, I was befriended early on by some knowledgeable dudes and ended up making just a few mistakes here and there. This teeny frame, to my relief, is not a mistake and the huge sloping top tube with enormous seatpost showing is pretty much the hallmark of this bike.

Frankly, I want WTB roller cams on this bike. That's the one mistake I made when I had Steve Potts make me a fork. I should have gotten roller cam bosses rather than cantilever ones. I was impatient. As a future project, I will swap out the forks for some roller cam ones and probably ask Steve if he would change the bosses....and Kozaczek the frame with something other than red.

The front derailleur should require a 35.0 mm clamp but running into my usual list of problems, my 35.0 fd doesn't fit. The other little hiccup I ran into was the seatpost diameter. These bikes were usually specced with 31.8 sized posts but mine is 31.6 with some friction paste. Fun.

I promise I have some finished bikes but for now, here's another work in progress:

Frame: Ritchey Logic tubing
Forks: Steve Potts Type II
Stem: Steve Potts modified Ritchey Force stem

Headset: Chris King 1 1/8" black no logo 2Nut 
Cable Hanger: WTB style
Brakeset: Paul Stoplights cantiliever brakes in silver (originally anodized red)
Shifters: Sram
Levers: Avid Black Ops Speed Dial Ultimate
Derailleurs: Sram/Shimano
Crankset: Shimano XTR M900 170mm 46/36/26
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN54
Pedals: Shimano PD-M747
Rear Cogs: Sram 9 speed 11-34
Chain: Sram
Seatpost: 31.6 mm Ringle Moby Deuce
Seat binder: Campagnolo Euclid
Saddle: WTB SST
Handlebars: Ti
Grips/tape: WTB Original Trail Grips
Wheelset: Chris King Classic 32h silver hubs 140mm wide in rear, Specialized rims; WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front and 2.1 rear; DKG made no logo Salsa silver skewers
Extras: King ss cage

velo cult is rad. shop there.

Since changed out wheelset, thankfully.












whoops. I should straighten out my pads.

Steve Potts modded stem



With the old WTB skewers that I've since swapped and sold










Weight: 23.48 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment